Saturday, April 19, 2008

Honey Wheat Sandwich Bread


I love a nice deli sandwich with fresh veggies and greens between two slices of great bread. This, is great bread. This is first and so far only sandwich loaf I have made. I found the recipe this winter in a Culinary Institute of America cook book I checked out from our library. I actually had planned on following the recipe correctly just because I had never made bread before. However, I forgot to put in the oil; one full cup of it! And you know what, it turned out great! Since then we have only bought two loafs of bread from the store because we prefer this bread so much. In addition to leaving out the oil, I changed the proportion of wheat to white flour, adding more wheat. I also mix in raw golden flax seeds and sunflower seeds, then scatter them on top while the bread bakes.

Increasing the wheat weight and adding seeds shows another one of my cooking (or in this case, baking) beliefs: food should taste lovely and be just as healthy. I enjoy creating our food so that our bodies can use it efficiently, and our taste buds be pleased. Of course, sometimes you just have to let go (e.g Chocolate Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting)!