Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sweet Potato & Zucchini Bread

While looking at my Google Analytics, I noticed that most people who came to my site via a search engine did so by looking for Sweet Potato Cake . This is a tad ironic, since Rebecca baked and shared her recipe! Thanks Rebecca! Anyway, this made me look up more recipes for sweet potato cakes and breads. Most seem fairly standard: pureed sweet potato, nutmeg and cinnamon, eggs, vanilla ,sugar, baking powder, salt, and flour. This recipe caught my eye because of there is Zucchini added in! And, both vegges are grated. At first I did not want to try this because I thought grating sweet potato would be hard, but cleaning my food processor might be worse. Come to find out, the sweet potato was easier to grate than the Zucchini!

The original recipe from Bon Appetit called for all white sugar, only all purpose flour, just cinnamon for spice, and veg oil. I substituted 1/2 C. whole wheat flour, used half brown and half white sugar, added fresh nutmeg and clove, and used part apple sauce, part melted butter for my oil. These muffins turned out beautifully! The texture was nice and light, and the color of the zucchini nicely showed through. If anything, they were also a bit too sweet, I might cut back a bit on the sugar next time, especially if I'm using applesauce as an oil.

Recipe: makes 24 muffins or 1 9x13

1 1/2 C. all purpose flour
1/2 C. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. clove
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 C. sugar
1 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. melted butter
1/4 C. apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1 1/2 C. grated zucchini (1 medium zucchini)
1 1/2 C. grated sweet potato (1 small sweet potato)

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-grease muffin tin or 9x13
-grate veggies, set aside.
-Combine flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl, set aside.
-In a separate bowl, add sugars, melted butter, apple sauce, vanilla & eggs. Slowly add dry ingredients to this bowl. Once almost combined, add zucchini and sweet potato. Continue to stir until just combined.
-For muffins, bake 15 minutes, for bread, bake 1 hr 20 minutes.

-enjoy!!!